How to Buy Health Insurance in India
- Health insurance is a broad base over which there are many types and sources for providing insurance. A broad classification of few types is mentioned below.
- Even in history it is noted that, health and welfare of every citizen was a priority to monarchs. So it is not a surprise to have examples of govt. schemes that insure health of citizens of a nation. Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana in India is an example of one such scheme that is made for people ‘below poverty line’.
- Employers or administrators of a group or organization can buy health insurance for their employees/members of their organization. This fact clearly reflects the idea of ‘how every head counts when it comes to building a nation or organization’.
- An individual can also purchase a health insurance policy from govt. and private companies as well.
Policy coverage: This term refers to medical conditions under which a policy insures a person. This means a policy may not include every medical condition of a person like most of the policies in India do not include medical expenses from HIV, misuse of drugs and also injuries in riots.
Mode of bill payment and claim: This plays a major role during critical situations since certain policies may include conditions wherein the person has to bear part or complete bill expense in the first place and later on can claimed from insurer. This may also depend on the network of hospitals that come under the insurance provider.
Network of hospitals: This can be one of the major criteria since the network of hospitals an insurance company covers will give us more options and will make us feel secure during critical situations. This is because cashless claims can be made in these hospitals; the company will have authorized to treat the person while the company takes care of expenses.
Premium and other benefits covered: This makes the choice to be economical with added benefits in the basket. For ex: A condition of one of the policies offered by Apollo Munich states includes certain bonuses offered on every claim-free year.
- The person who purchases a policy must be minimum 18 years old.
- The person who is insured for the policy can be maximum 60-65 years. People who are more than 65 years old can be insured under policies for senior citizens.
- Certain policies also have a minimum limit for age of the person insured. A policy may cover insurance to people above 3-5 years of age.
- The following are the popular health insurance policy providers in India
- Apollo Munich